Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sports Rant

Ok, we've all been on hiatus for a while. I know J Mays is down in Florida while TAS is all the way in Iceland (as in the country). Also, Steely has been bouncing around between State College and Pittsburgh. I've been occupied with senior week festivities here at PSU despite the fact that I didn't graduate today with all my peers (stupid integrated graduate programs..). Anyway, the sports world has been happenin' lately and we haven't been chiming in. I'll try to change that.

Hornets! What a series they have been having with the Spurs. Frankly, it doesn't make any sense. After 6 games, the home team has won by an average of 18.2 points. That's ridiculous. Despite that, I'm a little bit nervous after David West went down in a heap after a cheap foul from Robert Horry. While his hard pick on West wouldn't have done much to anybody else, Horry knew that West has been bothered by a bad back and really nailed him there, sending him to the ground in a ton of pain. Lucky for New Orleans, they get 3 off days before game 7 on Monday. As Chris Paul said after the game 6 defeat, "Thank God we get to go back to New Orleans for game 7." They've been unstoppable throughout the playoffs at home and I can only hope that trend continues.

Hockey! Yeah, I'm a Devils fan but I'm watching this Pens/Flyers series with great interest. If I've learned anything, it's that Philadelphia fans are still obnoxious (no offense Mays). After the Flyers won, if you took a walk into a bar/down the streets in State College, you would honestly think the Flyers just won the Stanley Cup. It was really sad. I also witnessed a hilarious confrontation between a Pens and Flyers fan in which the Pens fan totally owned the Philly fan (and I can say that with no bias as I'm trained to dislike both fans). When it comes right down to it, the Pens are too good and the Flyers have no chance unless Biron continues to overachieve in net like he did in game 4.

Spygate! Is it over? I guess. I hope not. I enjoy seeing the Patriots have to deal with this crap. If you do too, you're welcome. Remember it was the Jets that ratted them out with all of this. Maybe Belichick should learn not to burn bridges. The fact of the matter is, they cheated. You can play the 'well everybody does it' card but you know what, you can't say that for certain without any advice. Innocent until proven guilty anyone? Belichick is also saying how Matt Walsh is full of crap for saying that they worked closely in this whole cheating ring. Wait...didn't Belichick also said he only taped division rivals before tapes of the Steelers and Browns came out? This is also the same guy who was Jets coach for 1 DAY before bailing on the team he agreed to take over. Belichick honestly just needs to shut up and stop talking. Nobody outside of New England has or ever will have respect for him anymore. Just shut it Bill. You're seriously lucky to still be in the situation you're in.

Marvin Harrison! Wtf??? Though I assume one can't be terribly surprised considering he owns multiple businesses in North Philadelphia.

Baseball! What is up with my Yanks? Well, A-Rod, Posada, and Hughes on the DL isn't helping. Ian Kennedy owns AAA but can't cut it in the Bigs. Robinson Cano has been doing terrible and I still don't understand how Jason Giambi still has a job. Yeah, Giambi has 7 HRs but a .181 BA/.343 OBP? Ouch. If anything, the Yankees should be glad that they're only 5 games out of first at this point while the Rays continue to roll. I'm not sure why people are really surprised. These guys have one heck of a good, young team. They'll be a force to be reckoned with all year. The only unfortunate thing about their emergence is that it will be unlikely that the AL East will get the Wild Card bid because everybody is just going to beat up on each other in the division.

Track and Field! I know, I'm surprised too. I'm just really irked at this story that double leg amputee Oscar Pistorius was granted permission to race against able-bodied runners. I don't mean to sound like a bad person but I really think that's garbage. While nothing is totally conclusive, there is research out there supporting that his prosthetic legs can give him an advantage. I'm no biology person (and correct me if I'm wrong) but wouldn't the fact that his heart doesn't have to worry about pumping blood through his legs help him out? I just feel that by allowing him to race just opens up a whole can of worms. If you let one in, then you gotta let them all in. My heart goes out to the guy and I truly feel bad, but this is a bad day for sport. The fact of the matter is, if you're using an unnatural part of your body that is crucial to your competition/sport, you should not be allowed to complete against the able bodied.

Well, that does it for my late-night rant. Look forward to some of these in the future....or at least regular columns.

No comments: