Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Few Other Things to See

Hey everyone. I just wanted to say a little about a few other sites that I have found useful over the years when reading/learning/studying the NFL and the draft. Be sure to check these sites out.

  • The Football Expert - I am a NFL Draft Analyst at this site and have written two draft previews for 2007. Check out my Dolphins preview here and the my Rams one here. I didn't post them on Sports Fountainhead because of their size and the use of tables. You see what happens to tables here with my mock drafts. Yuck.
  • Draft Tek - The Draft Tek team has developed a computer simulation for the NFL draft. It is really sweet. The simulations uses two different matrices: one with prospect rankings by position and another for each the 32 NFL teams needs by position. The model then does a mock draft - through all seven rounds! The site is updated often. Each team has a correspondent that is responsible for updating the team matrix (I am the correspondent for the Dolphins). In addition to the regular mock draft, they do a few What-If? simulations, such as what would happen by forcing the program to have Miami take Matt Ryan or a variety of other scenarios. Below is an excerpt of the output of the most recent What-If? scenario: Randy Moss leaves New England as a free agent and signs with Dallas. This allows the Patriots to sign Asante Samuel, Randall Gay, and Zach Thomas (I HOPE NOT!). Below is a tiny bit of the results taken from round two. I am only listing this because I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. The player listed in the right hand column is the player the team would take in the normal simulation. The player after the team listed is the selection in this What-If? scenario. Just to clear things up.
Click on image to enlarge.
  • The last sight I want to mention is Pro Football Talk. They have their own rumor mill comprised of rumors and articles from sports sites and local newspapers. If you need a quick football update, go there.
So there are a few more sites to whet your football appetite as we head in to an important few months: combine, free agency, and the draft!

No comments: