Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Return of E

I'd be the first person to tell you I thought I would be writing like 3 blogs a day over break. Didn't happen. Partially because I've been on multiple antibiotics and partially because there haven't been too many inspiring sporting activities of late (to me, at least). Since I've been gone for a while, I'll just throw out a potpourri of my take on various happenings in the sports world of late...

College Bowl Season: Yawwwwn...After an incredibly entertaining regular season, this bowl season has been dreadfully boring (at least relatively speaking). You know there's a problem when three of the most exciting bowl games this year happened before Christmas. There were some entertaining games lately such as UM v. UF, BC v. MSU, Cal v. AF, and Auburn v. Clemson but I feel like those games have been drowned out by the blowouts, mainly in the BCS. Hawaii looked absolutely dreadful. I feel like Coastal Carolina could look better than they did when they play PSU next season. OU got embarassed and Illinois proved they really had no business being in the Rose Bowl. Arkansas didn't give a damn about the Cotton Bowl and it showed. Indiana got leveled and USF by far looked like the worst of the cursed BCS #2s of this season. As I write this, Kansas is playing a tight one with VT. Deep down, I'm probably rooting for VT...mainly because if Kansas wins, it will diminish Mizzou's accomplishments this season and silence those calling for them to be in the BCS when they definitely deserved it more.

Finally, I am soooo sick of NY sports radio whining about how irrelevant bowl games are outside of the NC. I credit a lot of that mainly to ignorance of the sport. College and high school football has never been big in the Tri-State area (where I'm from) and a lot of people just don't understand. A lot of people are finally getting somewhat acclimated to the college game now, but only because of Rutgers. This morning, the guys on the radio (WFAN 660am) were comparing the bowl games to preseason NFL games, a claim that is ludicrous. Bowl games mean a lot more than nothing. They do have somewhat of an exhibition element as some teams try new things, but nobody goes out there looking to lose. For one, high school recruits watch these games. They last thing teams want to do is go out and get embarrassed, turning away those 3, 4, 5-Star prospects (though Notre Dame still seems to be doing well...but that's besides the point). Winning these games also brings some credit to the respective conference as well as helping to bring money into the conference/university. In turn, that helps out revenue which allows more recruiting and better practice facilities. While I will admit, the stakes aren't enormous, they're more than nothing as many people seem to think.

Penn State: After the Alamo Bowl, I'm cautiously optimistic for next season. The source of my excitement for next season mainly comes from our O and D lines who performed exceptionally well down the stretch and are losing nobody for next year. Maurice Evans has a shot at 15+ sacks while the O line will make anybody we put at RB next year a 1,000-yard rusher. I'm a little cautious about our hopes because of the QB position. I've liked what Clark has shown me but is he the answer? His mobility is a huge plus but can he throw? He hasn't been out there in many big time throwing situations so that remains to be seen. I'm also concerned about our secondary. King, who sucks anyway, is still probably better than whoever else we'd throw in there. Also, if Scirotto gets convicted once his trial rolls around, that leaves another big void at safety as he'd undoubtedly be kicked off the team. At least next year we'll get an early test when Oregon State comes to town. I'm really excited for that game as Oregon State looks to be one of my sleepers for 2008.

Patriots: On the surface, what they accomplished was truly amazing and I reluctantly tip my cap to that....and that's about it. I still hate the Pats more than any team in the NFL and think Belichick is a total sleeze. I also don't think he should have won coach of the year. They were expected to win. Romeo or Gibbs deserved it more for pulling teams together that weren't expected to do much. That being said, I'm rooting for the Colts, my adopted-tied-for-second-favorite-team (a title they share with the Steelers) to roll over the Pats en route to another title.

Roger Clemens: Already sick of the drama. Deep down I kinda think he knowingly took something but we'll see (hopefully).

NJ Devils: Looking solid of late though the surging Penguins are right on their tail in the Atlantic. If the whole team can stay healthy for a playoff run, I definitely think they have a shot for the East and possibly the Cup. Also, stay tuned for a post about my trip to the Devils sweet new arena, the Prudential Center (I've been waiting so I can upload a couple pics from the journey).

NY Jets: They just had to be the Chiefs to slip to the #6 overall pick...

New Orleans Hornets: Still looking exceptionally well in their exceptionally tough division/conference. They currently sit at 21-11, tied with the Mavs and 1.5 games behind the Spurs. The Hornets could really turn some heads down the stretch and during the playoffs.

NHL Winter Classic: The first time I was genuinely entertained by a game not involving the Devils. Devils v. Rangers at Giants Stadium perhaps?

PSU Basketball: First road win of the season at Northwestern yesterday! Congrats! How about you try looking that more often so you actually have a remote chance of landing Terrelle Pryor (who will unfortunately end up at UM unless their horrible basketball team drives him away that much).

FOX Sports: Screw the BCS for selling their souls to FOX. They are atrocious at showing replays and have announcers that don't seem to get the college game as much as others at ESPN Sports have. They also have announcers who just suck. I almost wish Lou Holtz was calling the National Title Game.

2 comments:

JJ said...

The first time I was genuinely entertained by a game not involving the Devils.

The first time I've ever read that sentence.

Steely McDonati said...

The first time I was genuinely entertained by a game not involving the Devils.

The first time I've ever read that sentence.

Also E, given your love for Rutgers and the MAC, I expect a thorough International Bowl report on Saturday.