Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm glad I was wrong

Not very often that I say that but I'm a fan of the German national football team and I'm glad they disposed of the Portuguese earlier today by a score of 3-2. Yes, my championship pick is gone in the first game of the knockout round but it came at the expense of an incredibly entertaining match. If I'm noticing anything too, it's that I still have a lot to learn about the game. I'm beginning to realize how much I understand when watching a game of American football or baseball but don't know all in ins and outs of football. Anyways, that's beside the point. The point is that Die deutsche Fußballnationalmannschaft is awesome. Many people though that the Germans were going to struggle against Portugal but that did not happen at all as the jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Before the game, many made light of the Germans superior size, and that's what did it for them. Two of their goals were a combination of bad Portuguese marking and great size as they came on headers. Personally, I thought Portugal would zip around them, and they did at times, but it wasn't enough. Christiano Ronaldo had a decent game, but he didn't do enough and Portugal no goes home empty handed, short of expectations.

No comments: