Sunday, August 26, 2007

Goal: NL Wild Card/College Fantasy Football

The Phillies have been abysmal recently, dropping 4 in a row and 6 of 7. Their usually reliable offense has been only average (less than 4 runs/game). The pitching has been terrible, even for the Phillies. This became excruciatingly evident last night when Brett Myers blew the save, giving up 2 solo HRs in the top of the 9th. The Phils lost 4-3. The loss last night dropped Philadelphia 7 games behind the Mets in the NL East (tied with Atlanta for 2nd) and 4 games behind San Diego for the NL Wild Card. The Wild Card is the Phillies only hope now. They were within 3 games of the Mets less than 10 days ago and now find themselves in a hole that they can't get out of. Now they must hope the Padres, Dodgers, and Braves all struggle over the last 6 weeks of the season AND the Phillies must regain the form they had during the 3 weeks following the All-Star game. It is now Wild Card or Bust.


In other news, I recently found a new fantasy sport for me, College Fantasy Football. It's an interesting idea. Since Fantasy Football is so huge, and College Football is as well, why not combine them? So I joined 3 leagues on CBSSports.com and recently drafted. It's pretty much the same as NFL Fantasy Football except you draft entire positions for a team. I recently selected West Virginia Mountaineers RB with the 1st overall pick in 1 of my leagues. I guarantee myself Steve Slaton but also any other RB/FB that they may use. If any WVU RB scores, I get the points. I should also mention that CBS allows you to choose the pool of players you'd like to use. A lot of the leagues I saw chose 3 or 4 conferences while others selected all available. I prefer using all conferences because there are dominant fantasy players everywhere. In fact, I'm in a league that excluded the Big East and WAC so there was no chance for Darren McFadden, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Brian Brohm, Colt Brennan, etc. They are some of the top college fantasy producers! It's crazy to exclude them because they play in inferior conferences (which they both are). But the players are amazing (even if I do hate WVU)! But I am looking forward to the college season to start in less than a week and this will even add to my anxiety. Now the random CFB games I watch may mean something!

No comments: