Saturday, September 27, 2008

Phillies "Magic Number" Down to 1

Unfortunately, I'm a superstitious person. I hate it. Thinking something you do or say will effect the outcome of something is ludicrous. And yet, I can't shake it from my head. A prime example is last years NCAA Women's Volleyball National Championship. Anyway, the Phillies have been on a roll recently. They have won 11 of their last 14 and now sit with a comfortable 2 game cushion on the Mets in the NL East with 2 games to play. There have been plenty of instances since September started that I wanted to write about the Phillies. I just couldn't get myself to do it. The mere mention of something good could ruin their season. At least my mind lead me to believe so. And now, with 2 games to go, I don't think saying that they are this close to winning the NL East for the 2nd consecutive season isn't blasphemous. Or so I convinced my head for the 3 minutes it took to write this.

This afternoon the ageless Jamie Moyer (15-7, 3.78) faces John Lannan (9-14, 3.86) at The Bank in Philadelphia. The Mets actually face the Marlins at Shea 3 hours earlier so Philly may know if they are Champs or not. A Mets loss will do it. However, the Phillies can undoubtedly clinch with a win and secure the NL East and a date with the Dodgers (if the Mets take the Wild Card) or the Brewers (if they win the Wild Card) in the 2008 NLDS. Moyer has been the one constant in the Phillies starting rotation. Today's the day.

LET'S GO PHILLIES!!!

No comments: