Sunday, December 30, 2007

Bobby Bowden discusses his "legacy"

Sure, I might be biased, but in my experiences in college football fandom, I've noticed that there's some big differences between Bobby Bowden and Joe Paterno. Both are obviously legends in the sport and will be remembered forever for their contributions. Maybe it's his southern swagger, but I always thought Bowden was a little bit more pretentious when discussing matters such as his "legacy."

Case in point, this article from SI.com, which wonders if Bowden's reputation takes a hit in the latest F$U scandal.

"I don't think you can ruin my legacy," the 78-year-old coach said Saturday. "How can you ruin it? What I've done, I've done. You can't take it away, can you?"
See, a comment like that leaves me a little unsettled. No, we can't take away Bobby Bowden's contributions to college football, but I don't like that he's trying to throw them around and show them off. If you ask Paterno about his legacy, he'll mumble incoherently for a few seconds before likely explaining that he doesn't consider it a "legacy," that he's glad to have made a difference in the university and in young men's lives, and that he doesn't want to talk about himself anymore.
In the Bowden interviews I've read or seen, it seems clear to me that Bobby's coaching for the all-time wins record, while Joe says he stopped counting his wins years ago (well, at least that's what he'll tell you).

Even though Joe has "stopped counting," I'll pick it up for him -- with his Alamo Bowl win victory last night, JoePa is one win behind Bowden on the all-time wins list. So pull up to the TV tomorrow night with some champagne or eggnog, watch Florida State lose to Kentucky in the Music City Bowl, and celebrate the start of an exciting 2008.

No comments: