Friday, September 28, 2007

Pick 12

So I like predicting college football games whether you care or not. Each week I'll pick 12 of the more interesting games of the week, just as I did last week. Previously I went 9-3...not bad considering I picked Iowa over Wisconsin (choked) and Arkansas over Kentucky (choked). Not that I'm making excuses or anything...

(winners in bold)

#5 WVU @ #18 USF

What will likely end up being one of the biggest Big East matchups of the year. Incredibly difficult game to pick with both teams being hot, and very good. WVU has the duo of White and Slayton and they're sure to give USF fits on defense. However, I just feel like USF is primed for another upset over WVU this year. They've already proven they can win the big game by going into Auburn a few weeks ago and defeating them. They would have won that game a little more easily too had it not been for their kicker. USF by a FG.

#6 Cal @ #11 Oregon

Again, another incredibly tough game to predict. Both teams have incredible offenses and questionable Ds. However, Oregon's defense has played a little bit better than Cal's this year, plus they're at home. I'll go with the Ducks. Ducks by 6.

Louisville @ NC State

Can Louisville rebound from back-to-back crushing losses? That's the question many are asking, even though they're going up against the lowly Wolf Pack. Louisville has a stellar offense, no doubt about it but their D is worse than pathetic. While the teams will be engaged in an entertaining shootout, I see Brohm pulling the Cards of the Pack by at least 3 TDs.

Michigan State @ #9 Wisconsin

I really want to pick the Spartans here but I just can't. They gave up two TDs to Notre Dame last week. PJ Hill will run all over MSU, carrying the Badgers to (unfortunate) victory. Badgers by 4.

Michigan @ Northwestern

The Wolverines finally leave the friendly confines of the Big House and travel to Evanston. They won't find much other than a bruised and battered Wildcats team that played defense at a level comparable to Louisville last week, yielding over 50 points to the Buckeyes. UM by 20.

Kansas State @ #7 Texas

Last year, Kansas State pulled off the shocker by beating the Longhorns in Manhattan. This year, the game moves to Austin. While I believe Texas is one of the more overrated teams in college football, I don't see Kansas State pulling off the upset road win. Texas by 13.

#19 Penn State @ Illinois

A part of me honestly wants to pick Illinois. I have no faith in our offense. This is honestly looking like 2004 all over again: A superb defense, and an offense that needs teams to hand them points (ie 6-4 loss to Iowa in '04). The defense will have its hands full with Juice but I feel that Morelli will rebound and actually play a decent game. Lions by 14.

Appalachian State @ Elon

How will the Mountaineers respond to their first loss of the season (and snapping their long winning streak)? With another loss against their cross state rivals at Elon. Hey, Elon didn't play that poorly against USF in the season opener. Phoenix by 3.

#22 Alabama @ Florida State

Alabama couldn't pull off the big win at home against Georgia last week. Things don't get any easier this week as they have to travel to Tallahassee to take on the Seminoles. I see Weatherford having a big game and beating the Crimson pretty easily. FSU by 11.

Hawaii @ Idaho

I bet everyone is looking forward to this premier WAC matchup. I just like the fact that its the Rainbow Warriors v. Vandals. Interesting matchup...And yes, they're still the Rainbow Warriors, I don't care what you say. Brennan throws 5 (if he plays). Hawaii by 38.

UCLA @ Oregon State

I usually like the Beavers in an upset. Plus, they've been pretty decent at home this year. However, they've been miserable on the road (then again, so has UCLA...). Despite that, Ben Olsen should have a triumphant return to the lineup, beating the home team with relative ease. Bruins by 9.

Ohio State @ Minnesota

STOP NATIONALLY TELEVISING MINNESOTA GAMES....Ohio State by 2380974982736.

I await eagerly to see whether its May or Holtz that will pick the Illini over the Lions tomorrow. While it could happen, my bet is their reasoning is "the Lions' defense is overrated, they have up all those ground yards to Hart." Ahem, yards pile up when you run the ball over 40 times and when you spend 10 more minutes on the field than the other defense. Anyways, I'm betting some crazy upset will happen this week too. My guess (lucky pick 13) is Auburn over the Gators. Happy viewing this weekend everyone.

No comments: